NIC Teaming a built-in feature in Windows Server 2016
How to Configure NIC Teaming in Windows Server 2016?
The NIC Teaming feature is now the built-in feature to Configure NIC Teaming in Windows Servers. NIC Teaming is provide network availability and network performance. It act as a bonding network adapters to form one logical network adapter. It provides useful features such as load balancing across individual links and failover for network connections.
NIC Teaming Features and Modes
Currently Windows Server support two modes of NIC Teaming configurations. The firs once is Switch dependent mode and the second one is Switch independent mode.
Switch dependent mode is connecting all network adapters to the same switch. It requires to configure on the physical switch with Generic teaming mode and LACP for Dynamic mode. These two Generic 802.3ad and Dynamic 802.1ax are the features of Switch dependent mode.
Switch Independent mode is connecting network adapters to different switches and configuration is not required on physical switches.
Configure NIC Teaming in Windows Server
To configure NIC Teaming, at least you need to have two Network adapters. Before configuring NIC teaming, create some virtual network card for your virtual Hyper-V servers.
1. On Windows server open Server Manager and select Local Server. It shows all network adapters with their IP configurations. The screenshot shows the network adapters configured with static IP address.
2. Just click Disabled in front of NIC Teaming to open NIC Teaming configuration window.
3. From TEAMS section click TASKS and select New Team to create and new NIC Team from existing network adapters.
4. Select the adapters you want to team with each other’s and type a name. Then select the appropriate settings from Additional properties. and click OK to create the first NIC team.
5. Finally you see the created NIC Teams on TEAMS section of NIC Teaming window. If you want to change the settings of NIC Teams, select and right click a NIC team then select Properties.
Yes, you have successfully created and configured NIC Teaming in Windows Server. To see the NIC Teaming is enabled, refresh the Server Manager and check.
6. Now, once check the Network Connections to see the NIC Teams connections created after NIC Teaming configuration.